Sunday 17 March 2013

Music Appreciation Week

Happy St Patrick's day everyone! 


This week has been much more musical than last with lots of gigs attended/planned and new music listened to!  I've had a bit of poorly throat and a cough this week so instead of breaking myself any further I decided to have my own music appreciation week and check out what everyone else has been doing lately...

As I mentioned last week I headed down to the Golden Fleece on Sunday evening to catch the lovely Michael Stott play a fantastic set.  It was a really enjoyable evening, and I was lucky enough to also see a talented young duo called In The Teepees, as well as managing to catch some songs by the brilliant Ande Hunter (of Hunting Helen) before the snow set in and I had to brave the walk home!

A little bit of creative insomnia had me writing a brand new song when I returned home after the gig.  I debuted it the next day and it seemed to go down quite well.  It's much softer than the other new stuff I've been writing recently so when I eventually get a recording I will be looking forward to some feedback! 

We changed it up a little this Monday, once every month the NTU Music Society hosts an acoustic night alongside the Nottingham Trent Students Union at Spanky van Dykes.  This month we had some truly amazing acts from our society on the bill; Michael Stott was still on top form from the night before, one of our freshers, Yasmin Issaka played Spanky's for the first time, Will Wilson who consistently puts on a great show at almost every Acoustic Night we've run joined us again and we had a new addition in the form of an incredibly talented duo called Midnight and the Blue.

Despite all the fun over at Spanky's I couldn't resist the pull of the Golden Fleece open mic night as usual and headed down there afterwards to do a couple of songs to a really happy crowd!  I love the Fleece...

This Wednesday was an Orange Wednesday for me, I went to the cinema to finally see Oz: The Great and Powerful.  After watching the now infamous Radio 1 interview multiple times I was very excited to see Mila Kunis enjoying 'being ugly for once'.  I think she pulled it off pretty well!  I'd heard the film had been given some bad reviews but I quite enjoyed it...  However, following a friend of mine lecturing me on the history of inventions/science regarding Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla  (with a little help from The Oatmeal and Epic Rap Battles of History), Oz's obsession with how awesome Edison was seemed wrong!  Click on the comic link and see why, poor Tesla... On a side note, science and history should always be taught like that!

After a long day at uni on Thursday I once again joined forces with Calum Hems for a bit of a jam.  We kind of perfected The Castle and the Kingdom and then got straight to work on my new one... and I'm so excited about the banjo part he pretty much made up on the spot for it - what a talented guy!  We then ventured down to Jam Cafe to watch the fantastic Lester J Allen play an incredible set, I really recommend checking him out, he's very talented and such a nice guy as well!

Finally I'd just like to mention a few music related things that have made me super happy this week, because it's always nice to be happy!  Firstly, this track by track review of Laura Marling's new album which is coming out on the 27th May has me very excited, the taster track, Where Can I Go? is gorgeous and I really cannot wait to hear the rest!  Those of you who know me will understand this as you'll already know how much I love Laura... she's even in my dissertation!  Secondly, I finally managed to track down a song I've been trying to find for about 3 weeks...  Turns out it's Young Blood Blues by an amazing little New Orleans band called Hurray for the Riff Raff, seriously check them out!  They even have a cover of River by Joni Mitchell (the other subject of my dissertation) on their YouTube!  And to top it all off, this week I managed to obtain tickets to see Lucy Rose in Sheffield as well as successfully booking (thanks to my wonderful father) tickets for the Mumford & Sons, Ben Howard, The Vaccines and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes concert in Dublin which I am incredibly, incredibly excited about!  I'm a huge fan of all these artists and had already been discussing going to Dublin over the Summer so as soon as I saw the Phoenix Park gig advertised I was determined to get tickets!  Next stop, booking flights to Ireland... that seems like an appropriate way to end this St Patrick's Day blog, now to go have some Irish inspired fun!

Don't get too drunk everyone...

Love y'all

Anwyn :) x




LINKS

Facebook: www.facebook.com/anwynwilliamsmusic

YouTube: www.youtube.com/anwynwilliams
Twitter: www.twitter.com/anwyn_williams



No comments:

Post a Comment