Sunday 24 March 2013

R&R: Rock n' Roll vs Rest and Recuperation

Hello everybody!

I was back to my busy-bee ways at the start of this week, following a very fun St Patrick's day at the Salutation Inn with music from Satnam's Tash, I was back to my own music on Monday with an NA Music gig at Jam Cafe in Nottingham.  I opened the night (powering through this disgusting cold I have...) and shared the bill with The Retrospectives, Wolf Club and Proper English Gentlemen.  I was very impressed by all the acts that played, in particular The Retrospectives, who played a more stripped back set than usual and completely smashed it!

I ended Monday night at the Fleece (who's surprised?!) and later back at my lovely friend Nikola Neumanova's flat for some all night jamming with our wonderful musical friends Michael Stott, Agnes Bella and Yasmin Issaka.  It was pretty much a perfect night in...

Tuesday was a back-on-the-road day; I had another NA Music gig, this time at the Basement in York for the first time since the tour which was rather exciting!  I love York, it's such a beautiful place and my second time at the Basement was great, with other support sets from the young and talented Harley Daniels and Shannon Cole.  Headlining was Toby Burras, otherwise known as Unfinished Drawings.  With a super smooth voice and really unique guitar playing he really blew the crowd away, I especially liked his cheeky little cover of Kelis' Milkshake... that was impressive!

I was on Music Society presidential duties by Wednesday as myself, Agnes Bella, Matt Gold, Max Hammond and Michael Stott played at The Point, Nottingham Trent's student's union bar in Clifton,  for their Real Ale and Cider Festival.  It was a really enjoyable evening and we're definitely hoping to do more work with NTSU and hopefully put on some more live shows over in Clifton, so watch this space!

Since Wednesday I've spent a lot of quality time with my bed trying to shake this cold/cough that wants to ruin my life (also because who needs this much snow in England in March?)... But at least that's meant I've had a fair amount of time to do bits and pieces on my dissertation, at last.  I opted to take this approach... yes, it's a bit Carrie Mathison from Homeland, but I am probably going to go slightly crazy before I get this beast of a project handed in so it seems pretty justified.

Just quickly, resting in bed tends to have a fair bit of social media attached to it these days, so here's something I came across that you should check out.  If you like The Smiths, a rare demo of them in their early years appeared on YouTube this week... give it a listen, the sound quality is pretty poor but it's cool, and it's a little bit of musical history!  Find out more on NME.com.

Have a nice Sunday everyone!

Love y'all

Anwyn :) x

PS - 2 new songs completed this week and at least 2 almost there... stay tuned!



LINKS

No comments:

Post a Comment